steadyaku47

Tuesday 8 September 2009

Nurul Izzah

Some one asked me today “Who shall champion the Malays then?” Who indeed! I did not have to think for even a minute. If Nurul Izzah is half what her father is then given time she will be one of those individuals that we can expect to emerge from within Pakatan Rakyat to take her rightful place as one of our more capable leaders. This is no ordinary daughter of Anwar. In her I see a person focussed in the direction towards which we must all move – towards change, towards decency and towards a Malaysia we want.
 
She is no Najib or Hishammuddin. Children from privilaged families spoilt rotten and growing up to be adults three time removed from their revered Father. This is no girl who was given a future on a silver platter. I watched as she went head to head against Sharizat and asked myself “Why must Anwar throw her into the lion den on her maiden foray into real life politics?” And when she was victorious I watched with a lump in my throat as I saw her – daughter of a friend and now 'Puteri Reformasi' and newly elected Member of Parliament for Lembah Pantai!
 
Since then she has conducted herself well. Always restrained and disciplined in the things she does. She might not remember me but just after Anwar’s release I was talking to Anwar at his then house in Damansara. Anwar had to excuse himself to meet another visitor and he asked Nurul to keep me company. I told her that her Father is no longer young and that she must do what she must to ensure that he does not involve himself in to much politics and land in Sungai Buloh again because it was my opinion that his body will not be able to take the punishment. 
She looked and me and said clearly words to the effect that ‘if that is what her father wants to do- she will be there for him”. This was a daughter who understood what had to be done if Keadilan and their dream were to be a reality.
 
She is young. She will need time. She is where she is now, Member of Parliament for Lembah Pantai in her own right. She did not have much of an opportunity to live the life of privilege that she thought would come with a father who was Prime Minister designate – but she has taken whatever had come her way since Anwar’s release and she had not falter. She has earned our respect and now we expect more form her. The Malays expect more.

8 comments:

  1. I have been reading your well written blog and it has taught me alot especially on how UMNO works and history too. :)

    I totally agree with your views on Nurul. Clearly she is a good orator and has inherited her father's gift. I look forward watching her grow to her full potential.


    Deep Sea Diver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hussein,

    I keep hearing these, champion of Malay, Chinese, Indian or whatever race. Why there is a need for such ideas? I cannot figure it out, again, maybe I am being too naive. For your information, I am 36 this year to give you an idea of which generation I am from.

    I think the theory - to champion a particular race by a person who is that particular race, the rational, I guess, the person would be more effective in championing the cause because they are culturally the same - does not hold water. Is it a necessity to have such pre-requisite?

    Hussein, if my take of your heart and mind is true, and hypothetically if you are my village head, I believe you will take care of my problems, if I have them. Your race is not a problem for me. I say that from the bottom of my heart. However, if you screw me, then sorry, you won;t be the village head anymore and again not because of your race, is because you screwed up as a village head in taking care of the needs of the residents.

    I am ready to accept anyone as my leader if he or she has proven their worth. I believe the leader, whatever race he or she is, will take care of its people, because we are its citizen in particular and most of all we are humans. To put it simply, humans suppose to help other humans or living being. Am I making sense? Is it really that communal psychology are of such importance in our Malaysian minds?

    What are your thoughts?


    Jack Ng

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack my thinking is this. It would take two or three generations before the racial divide is truly gone - not in my lifetime. For now i think there is need for each race to be eased slowly into a mentality that will accept that our leaders are truly for everyone. So if we have "champions" of each race who are together working to ease each other's race to be one -then the process starts. Trust will take time. Accepting one leader for all will take time. These 'champions' for the Malays, Chinese and the others will be the bridge to make it possible. That I think is the reality that we need to overcome because only education will make the change - and that takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with HH.

    Jack is describing utopia. The end state which we all strive to.

    To make that giant leap to that utopia from the cesspool we are currently in is surely a bridge too far and asking too much. Because you think this way, that is why sometimes we criticise our own, non Malays criticise PAS because they are too Islam, PAS members are not happy that non Malays are speaking up for Kartika, they want her caned.

    We forget!

    We forget the true enemy and the true evil and the corrupt is someone called UMNO.

    We cannot achieve that Utopia! We just have to live with each others idisyncrasies. PAS will continue to be PAS, DAP will continue to b DAP and PKR will continue to b infested by frogs. Live with that!

    But first , lets get rid of UMNO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hussein,

    I want to thank you for your reply, very soon with your popularity, you won;t be able to reply each mail or comment. That I can understand and hope you will reach that level fast. That can only mean your message(s) are spread far and wide.

    On a leader for all, you reminded me not to expect it to be immediate which I can buy. At the same time, I am very glad, that we have such thinking of hope and aspiration of having a leader for all, regardless or race. With this, I feel that there is hope for our children and the children of our children, in this land.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack I am totally disconnected with the people that read my blog. in all honesty I cannot imagine that there are those that do read what i read because I am sitting in my house in adelaide and what i write is what I feel in myself. Sometimes I myself read what i write and I ask myself how did I put those thoughts down in words...this is new to me. It only hit me when I see the stats that tells me how many hits I had today. Yesterday was 3600 and today over 1500 and i am indeed humbled - i have never had that many people interested in what I do. So to you people I say thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hear! Hear! Bro!

    http://nocturnal-mind.blogspot.com/2008/08/saudara-anwar-ibrahim.html

    The Tiger

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been following and reading almost on a daily basis of all your postings which are in total sync and resonance with my thoughts and thinking. I have no doubt with your rationality and lucidity and clarity of your thoughts, you will soon attract alot of fair-minded and rational readers and Malaysians

    ReplyDelete