steadyaku47

Wednesday 27 July 2016

fakemalaysianews.com : respect!




steadyaku47 comment :  Respect for the work that you do! 
 
 
Well it’s that time of year again. I got an invoice from the hosting company and I have to decide if I want to renew fakemalaysianews.com for a 5th year. I’m thinking, if I spent the time I spend writing in the gym, I’d be in better shape. If I used the time to focus on my job, I might make more money.





I’m not saving the world, there’s no cause and I don’t believe in satire as a revolutionary force. Jon Stewart in an interview once said, ‘satire is a cathartic, but ultimately impotent pursuit.” He went on saying ‘you can’t shame the shameless’ by making jokes. Satire is entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. So I was asking myself, should I keep this going? Has FMN run its course? 

What changed my mind of all things is Jerry Seinfeld’s Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Here’s a guy who has an internet show and still does standup two weekends a month even though he’s very rich. He could live off his TV show royalties for the rest of his life. Why work when you don’t have to right? 

Then it hit me. People who can be funny, *have* to be funny. It’s in their bones. It’s what makes a comic drop into a standup club to try out jokes and why many never retire. You don’t have to make money, and it doesn’t have to make sense. So with that in mind, like a good boy I paid up the money for the hosting, and FMN will be back for at least another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment