steadyaku47

Thursday 10 September 2009

The Fragilty of life


Early this morning, as is my habit, I went to my yahoo page on my PC and was greeted by the face of Steve Job of Apple – a Steve Job I have never seen before. He did not look good. Did not look well. He has been away for six months during which he had undergone a liver transplant – certainly a life-changing event. As I looked at him and the other images of him from time long gone by, the fragility of our existence, of our life hit me. The only constant is change and Steve Job has changed. Physically he is alive and grateful to be alive but I think the mental difference between now and six months ago must be many lifetimes. The operation has given him a new lease in life. Another opportunity to do the things he wish he could have done six months ago when he knew that without an operation he would die. When he was told the prognosis six months ago I am sure that he must have had a few “If God will take me successfully through this operation, I will……..” promises to himself. He now has the additional time to do those things.

How many of us have had second chances in life? Third even four chances at making right what we have done wrong? What promises have we made with ourselves when we find our back against the wall and we are desperate for a lifeline to be thrown to us? Did we not tell God that you will not forget HIM if he saved you from the hell that you are in? Did you not promise yourself that you will be a better person to your loved ones, that you will give alms to every charity that have asked for your donations? Then you wait for that lifeline because you have repented and you think that God have heard you and relented and will give you that second chance. And yet when it is all over and you are given that lifeline life goes on without any change. Promises made are forgotten.

So I look at Steve Jobs and all these thoughts flashes through my mind. I am happy for Steve that he is back with apple doing what he does best – unveiling a new iPods including nano with video camera but we know that his time to do ‘other things’ has come. The other things that he promised he would do if he had a new lease in life.
Tell me my friends…what would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment