steadyaku47

Thursday 22 October 2009

cakap cakap ....PPSMI - comment nxforget

nxforget has left a new comment on your post "Cakap Cakap ....PPSMI":

Reading this post and the encouraging comments, I recalled what my mother once told me.

When my father being coaxed by my aunt to put my elder sisters into English school, the kampung folks ridiculed my parents. My aunt was a teacher at the vernacular school in the kampung but insist the neices to be put in English school ogehter with her children.

Some of the remarks are there's no need to educate the girls in English school. They'll ultimately end up in the kitchen and may turn into infidels because many teachers in English school are from the missionaries.

That was the mentality in the early 40's and 50's of my kampung. Mind you my elder sister was born in '45, mean same age band with HH. When my sisters succeeded in their job in 60's, then only many come seek opinion from my parent as to what school is best English school for their children.

Believe it or not, the sons of my aunt that are of the same age band with my sister can recite some verse of the bible pretty well until today. They learned it during their school days. But, are they Christians today ... put it this way, I wouldn't want to argue with them as they are also well-versed with the Qur'an and never missed to perform the rituals required of being Muslims.

There you go, such a mentality in the late 40's and 50's and now I wonder where are our leaders trying to lead us ... that is to be neither there nor here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment