Kenya shopping centre attack
- A gun battle inside a shopping centre in the Kenyan capital Nairobi has left at least 39 people dead and 150 others injured
- An operation to secure the Westgate centre - one of the city's most exclusive shopping malls - is ongoing
- Somali militant group al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for the attack
- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta says he has lost some family members in the attack
- All times GMT
Join the discussion
- TWITTER: Tweet us
Reporters: Rebecca Cafe, Vanessa Barford, Sarah Fowler, Alex Morrison and Anna Jones
Skip To Latest Live Text
- 0015:"Attacks like this can't change who we are, a people committed to peace and justice for all, but rather must reaffirm our determination to counter extremism and promote tolerance everywhere," says John Kerry.
- 0013:US Secretary of State John Kerry says the "terrorist massacre of so many innocents is a heartbreaking reminder that there exists unspeakable evil in our world which can destroy life in a senseless instant," AFP reports.
- 0006:Two Canadians were among those killed in the attack, says Prime Minister Stephen Harper, including one diplomat. "Canada condemns in the strongest possible terms this cowardly, hateful act that apparently targeted innocent civilians who were simply out shopping," he says in a statement.
- The Kenya National Disaster Operation Centre tweets: Going silent. Major operations underway. Updates to follow.
- Kenya's interior ministry tweets: "We ask the media to cooperate with us as we handle this critical situation, kindly put a hold on any briefing from Westgate."
- 2322:A man who was in the shopping mall told reporters he saw a man change his clothes then leave the shopping centre among the hostages when they were rescued.
- The Kenya National Disaster Operation Centre tweets: Positive developments. 5
There is something wrong with the interpretation of religion today. Every massacre you hear on the news is committed by religious fanatics. You may defend religions as beloved and beautiful dah,dah ... what a lot of crap and stupidity! You just can't live a life of a saint using the two thousand culture and thinking in this century. Ayem not a saint but Ayem an atheist who appreciates people looking for spiritual things peacefully.ReplyDelete