Thursday 26 August 2010

Steven Corner

At about 8pm last Thursday I was on the way to Puchong for meeting when I received a call from Mr Lim Tai San, my “old” friend and supporter of Overseas Union Garden (OUG) in my constituency. He told me he was beaten up by his neighbour, boss of Steven”s Corner (mamak shop).

I then rushed to OUG with my assistant Gary Chong. Our car was stucked at OUG due to the night market there. I also called the police when I was on the way to OUG.

When we arrived, Lim has been sent to hospital by police car. Lim’s sons were very emotional in front of Steven’s Corner. They showed me the photograph of their father who suffered from swollen blue black eye and bleeding nose.

They described to me the whole incident and the pain their father suffered. They also told me that the threat by Steven’s Corner people who said they will burn down their shop and they have connection with all agencies including police. I then tried to cool them down.  

The following day I called press conference together with Lim Tai San. I was quite shocked to hear from him that he has to wait for few hours for medical check up at Universiti Hospital. When the check up was done, he was sent back to Balai Petaling, and the police officer asked him to kautim with the person who assaulted him. Lim refused to do so and he walked away from the police station.

Wah??!! Is this the way police handle criminal cases?

I shouldn’t comment too much on this matter, but I would like to share with you the blogs and Facebook page on this case which you might find interesting.

by Leven Woon on 6 Aug, 2010
Tagged: Criminal Offence • Steven’s Corner • Violence
in Crime Reports, Features, News, Other Areas.

Owner of popular Indian restaurant chain Steven’s Corner, Sathisilan, better known as Steven,  was arrested last night over allegations of assaulting a 65-year-old next door shop owner.
Brickfields district police chief ACP Wan Bari Abdul Khalid confirmed Sathisilan’s arrest and said he is being investigated for criminal intimidation and voluntarily causing hurt.
The victim, Lim Tai Sun, was left bleeding after Sathisilan confronted him for moving the restaurant’s tables placed in front of his glassware shop in Overseas Union Garden.
According to Lim, the incident happened at approximately 8.30pm last night while he was trying  enter his shop.
At a press conference today organised by Seputeh MP Teresa Kok, Lim claimed that he was assaulted by Sathisilan while he was exiting his shop.
“He dashed at me and punched me four times on my eyes, nose and chest,” said Lim, adding that he lodged a police report after the incident while sporting a bloodied nose.
Cops advice: Settle the matter
He adds that his two sons confronted Sathisilan after the incident and the latter responded by brandishing a knife at them. In addition, he said a man known only as “Ah Wai” arrived at the scene and threatened to burn down his shop if he went public over the assault.
He said that his and the assault were captured by the restaurant’s closed-circuit television cameras (CCTV).
Lim also alleged that the police were initially hesitant to retrieve the CCTV footage, instead advising him to “settle” the dispute with the restaurant owner.
However, the police swung into action after Lim alerted Kok and OCPD about the initial reluctance shown by the police.
Bad blood over Lim’s shop
Lim was initially a business partner of Sathisilan, but their relationship went sour after Steven’s Corner moved next to his shop.
“They wanted to expand so they offered to rent my shop. But I have been leasing the upper floor to a family with elderly mother so I turned them down. Since then, they keep playing dirty tricks,” said Lim
Lim is now fearing for his life and hopes that the authorities can provide him protection.
Meanwhile, Kok said the assault on Lim was a clear criminal offence and urged the police to prosecute the culprit.

No comments:

Post a Comment